The Old Sjörup Church / Sjörup gamla k:a was built between 1150-1170 A.D. under guidance of Carl Stenmästare (Stonemaster, a pretty straightforward occupational surname), on the foundations of a older proto-christian stave church.
The tower was added around 1270 AD, originally the church had two entrances, one in the south for men and one in the north for women. There´s no windows on this side, because north was seen as the origin of evil and darkness.
The church was eventually deconsecrated in 1882, mainly due to the fact that it only had 127 seats and had become too small. The church was abandoned, all the original inventory was auctioned off and the building eventually fell into ruin.The collapsed tower and the interior was restored in the 1930´s and the church, which by now only has room for 50 devotees, was reconsecrated in 1969.
Developer: Caffenol-C-H (rs) 20°C/68°f